Tuesday, July 19, 2011

when will my reflection show? - unit 10

Today, we did a lot about mirrors, colors, shadows and reflection. There are two types of reflections: specular and diffuse. A specular reflection is a smooth surface relative to its' wavelength. A diffuse reflection is a bumpy surface relative to its' wavelength. Most objects are diffuse, and because of it's not smooth surface, it allows us to see the image. As I said in the last blog post, a mirror is opaque, and gives off a specular reflection of light. In this picture, I can see my full body in the mirror, because the mirror is greater then half the length of my body. My feet to my head reflect in the mirror, which reflects back to my eye, which is how I see my whole body. If I were skipping towards myself in the mirror at 3 m/s, the image of me in the mirror and my real body would approach each other at 6 m/s. Because I am using a flat mirror, there is no center of curvature so light isn't conveyed. Because the light isn't conveyed, I can see my reflection very clearly and well.

No comments:

Post a Comment