Tuesday, June 21, 2011

galileo's theory on acceleration - Unit three

Continuing from last unit, we are learning about acceleration. A type of acceleration is gravity, and the acceleration of the earth is about 9.8 m/s^2 (in downward motion.) Galileo Galilei was the scientist who discovered that our earth has a gravitational pull, and that two objects of different mass will fall at the same speed when dropped from the same height.


I proved Galileo's theory by repeating the experiment. I have two orange caps, one significantly bigger than the other. From the same height (1 meter) I dropped both of them and saw that they reach the ground at the same time.  This shows that the acceleration of the two objects are the same.
If I wanted to find what the acceleration was for caps, I would subtract the original velocity from the final velocity and divide it by the change in time.

2 comments:

  1. nice experiment! it is super weird how that happens! cooooooolio

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahahahaha i know...it's still weird to me!

    ReplyDelete