Monday, June 20, 2011

No need for speed - Unit 3


Today in class we briefly went over acceleration. Acceleration is the change in velocity divided by the change in time.
I uploaded a video of my car going going down Kalanianaole Highway, to show that the car accelerated and decelerated. Although the video isn't real time (it was sped up and slowed down in iMovie), you can see that the car is going downhill in the beginning, and then running on a flat surface afterward. Because the car is going downhill, it accelerates because it gains speed. If the gas pedal was not pressed, the car would have a very high velocity. When the car reached the stop light, it slowly began to lose speed because it no longer had momentum from the big hill. Pressing on the break pedal is also an example of backwards acceleration because the car needs to move in the opposite direction for it to slow down. To keep the car at an average velocity of 35 mi/hour, (from before the hill and past the flat surface) I would have to press on the break going downhill, and then press the gas when I reach the flat to maintain my speed of 35 mi/hour.

3 comments:

  1. This is a really good example! I'm just wondering though because I couldn't really tell from the video, but once the car reached the stop light, wouldn't you have to press the break to keep it from rolling? Isn't that backwards acceleration?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was cool how you used a vide, it was a nice change from pictures. I agree with Jess though, maybe you could mention how negative acceleration comes into play when a car stops :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely forget! Thanks for commenting jess, you're totally right.
    Got it Mr. Blake!

    ReplyDelete